Friday, September 24, 2010

Jesslyn's Linguistic Skill

At 21months, having simple conversations with Jesslyn is not a problem. She seems to understand whatever you say and is able to express very well. Some of the expressions I wish to remember are:

  • When she hears thunder or an engine roar, she asks "What's that?" followed by running to me and says "I am scared. Too loud."
  • After she has done me a favour like combing my hair, she requests "Say thank you, Mummy." and followed by "Ar... good girl." after I thank her.
  • When Jie2 wants something from her and she is not in the mood, she says "No way."
  • She often asks the meaning of words by asking "... means?" esp if you speak in non-English language.
  • Some of the common Pronouns she uses are I, you, my, mine. My and mine are important survival words to her. Haha...
  • "I take the bag", "Don't touch ...", "Go away", "Whose's that?", "Look at the time!"
  • She uses "Excuse me" when something is in her way.
  • She asks "Are you ok? Is it painful?" when she bruises or cuts on you.
  • When she wakes up, the first thing she asks is "Where's daddy?" and the last thing she says before bed is "Good night (Daddy/Mummy/Mei2)" and each time, Jerilyn has to correct her.

However, she is still confused with certain animals. For example, she may claim that a dog is a gorilla, a duck is a chicken and a lion is a tiger and vice versa.

Here is a video of her singing a Mandarin song. Is she clear enough for you to figure out what she is singing?

No comments:

Post a Comment