Sunday, January 2, 2011

First Day at School

I have always been reluctant to send my kids to kindy. So, when it is ripe for Jerilyn to attend school, it is a big step for me. If it wasn't because of her enthusiasm about school and lack of manpower in baby-sitting the kids, I might delay another year before she attends kindy.

There are 3 kindies around where I live for our convenience and I chose the one which is most sought after. I personally prefer small groups to big groups but the other kindy was a big disappointment.

Hubby and I have been very anxious about her first day even though we know she could handle herself fine and would create a commotion at school. For the past whole month, we prepared her for school by telling her what's going to happen in school and what she needs to do if she requires help. She is very optimistic about school. She calls me 'Teacher' at home. Yesterday, she told me not to stay at the school but to go to work, come home and change my clothes before I fetch her from school. I was relieved to hear that.

We called it a night earlier yesterday but only managed to dozed off at the usual hour (>11.00pm). I intended to wake up at 740am but when morning comes, what woke me up was my dad's call to ask if he needs to look after Jesslyn. The call was at 8.00am. My alarm didn't sound. I jolted Jerilyn. It didnt take me long to wake her up. Her only complaint was she had no energy to walk. So, I had to carry her from room to toilet etc... The moment she was dressed in her uniform and VOILA!!! She changed into another person. From a sleepy, energyless kid into a energetic one. I prepared milk in a bottle for her to drink in the car. She said "Dont bring this bottle to school. Shame shame. Drink this at home. Nobody knows. Take the tumbler to school." OK..... Fine. I never thought she remembers our advice. I took a few photos of her and sent her to school at 8.20am.

At school, I didn't have the chance to go into the building. The teacher said "Ok, Mummy. We will take it from here." She led Jerilyn into the house. I began to walk out but I turned around and saw that she was looking at me too as she was being led away. We didn't say anything to each other. Not even Goodbye. I was told not to bid farewell or things will turn bad. I held my tear 'til I reached the car.
Back home, I felt empty. Too free without her. I facebooked and spent the time with Jesslyn. The time was moving slower than normal. When the clock struck 11.00am. I went straight to the kindy and watched her over cctv. There were 2-3 parents with the same intention. A teacher was explaining to her while writing. Jerilyn had her palm on her forehead, fidgeting and scratching her head as if the teacher was teaching Astronomy. This sight is most familiar to me when she lose interest and becomes restless. OMG! Will she want to go to school again tomorrow? Anyway, I left and returned again at 1.00pm.
In the car, here are some of the things I get:
Did you tell teacher when you want to shee2? What did you say? Yes teacher. My guess is the teacher might have asked them, thus this reply.
What have you learnt? ABC
Have you taken lunch? I eat rice. Then, we go swimming(bathe) and brush our teeth.
Do you want to go to school? Yes
and the list goes on.
At home, she is her old self. It looks like I have nothing to worry about tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment