Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Enrolment in School

I was at in dilemma for months, choosing between Ave Maria Convent school and Poi Lam school. My first choice is AMC. On the other hand, Poi Lam is not even in my 'My Wish' list.
Many misunderstood me for wanting Jerilyn to go to an 'A' school because it's, well, an 'A' school. No! That's not my purpose. The school's academic achievement is besides the point. I know anywhere Jerilyn goes, she would do well academically, unless of course the school doesn't teach at all. My purpose of wanting to enrol her into AMC is because of opportunities. More exposure to various activities such as cheer-leading. Moreover, students there are less naughty and many come from decent family background. To me, who a kid mix with is very important in shaping a young mind. They are vulnerable to influences especially bad influences. I don't want them to come back with vulgar words or crude habits.
However, I face a huge obstacle which is transportation. Our house is about 13km away from the school and there is no one to fetch the little girl EVERYDAY at PEAK hours. Therefore, we have no choice but to enrol her into Poi Lam school, which is only 5 minutes walk from my house. It's a new building, which means that my girl can enjoy all the new facilities here (1plus point). The school is shifting to this new building next year so by the time my girl joins the school in 2014, everything should be settled down. Forget about the reasons why I don't want her here as it's a sensitive issue.
I spoke to 2 ladies who were ex-AMC. One of them has school-going kids and both the kids are sent to a school near her house. The ladies opined that going to a smaller school (tho Poi Lam isn't small) in fact gives the kid more opportunities to join activities. In schools like AMC, they only pick 'The Best of The Best'.
I enrolled her into Poi Lam on 2 March, the second day schools open for registration. She was numbered 45. I saw that its enrollment has dropped over the past 2 years because the parents are willing to send their kids from town to this side of the city. This is another plus point. Small classes will do the students justice. They get personal attention from their teachers as opposed to classrooms with 40-50 children.

No comments:

Post a Comment