Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The Left Behinds

As age catches up, our brains become less efficient thus, more forgetful. My case is worsened with high dosage of caffeine (talking about blaming :p ). FYI, I take between 2 and 3 cups daily so, it's understandable why I blame my carelessness on caffeine. :p

There are uncountable incidents when I forget one thing or another. However, there is one which I will never forget. Every time when I fetch the girls from school, I would be the one who put their heavy bags in the boot while they get into the bag in school. As the bags were trolley bags, they usually dragged the bags themselves. I just had to carry them up and chucked them in the boot.

One fine day, as usual, we walked to our car and I signalled the girls to get in while I walked round the car and got into the driver's seat. We went home, had our lunch and got ready for shower when I remembered that their bags were still in the car. I went out only to find that there was one bag in the car. Jesslyn's bag wasn't there. I hurriedly interrogated Jesslyn. She told me that she dragged the bag to the car and left it on the road. She claimed that I should put it into the boot. Ops!!! My fault?!

Wasting no time, I sped off to school on my own to get the bag. Two things were running in my mind.
1. I prayed that the bag was still  in one piece on the road, waiting for me to collect.
2. I prayed that there was no one around to see me picking up a school bag from the road. How embarassing!

I was there... there was no bag. Oh No! I parked my car. My guess was someone had picked the bag and placed it at the Lost & Found corner. I went to that corner but No. The bag was not there either. I was unsure if I should go to the staff room to enquire as I only wearing shorts and slippers. I couldn't be going home to change. Well, I won't take such troubles. So, I made up my mind. I ran up. The vice principal was there entertaining a parent. She looked at me, not looking very pleased. I ignored her and headed to the staffroom. I asked the first teacher I saw. She wasn't very helpful and gave me directions in Mandarin, which I tried hard to comprehend. Anyway, I walked to another office but no one was there so I had to go back to the staff room. This time, I was lucky. I spotted Jesslyn's English teacher, my saviour!

She helped me to look for the bag. We went back to the car park, the security's house, the main hall and finally back to the staff room. It had never occurred to us that the person who found the bag would put the bag at the desk of Jesslyn's class teacher. I was so relieved. I thanked her numerous times before I left. Phew! 

No comments:

Post a Comment