Thursday, June 18, 2009

Irony

I live in a peaceful neighbourhood where majority are young couples with toodlers. My neighbour on the right is a small family consisting father, mother and a toodler while the neighbour on my left is a retired couple.
A month ago, the lady neighbour on my right found a new job where she needs to travel. In fact, she only comes home during the weekends. The husband works too which means the kid is left with the caretaker on weekdays. He doesnt bring home the baby until weekends.
On the other side of the fence, the retired couple has 4-5 grown-up children who are all making a living in other states. This couple keep themselves busy with gardening and sewing.
As for my household, both of us work, leaving my kids with my parents or parents-in-law. I fetch them immediately after work everyday. Generally, I spend 28 hours(equivalent to 4 working days) in the college. Still I feel that I have neglected them.
As I observe our different lifestyles, I couldnt help myself comparing. I find it ironic that when the kids need the parents most, the parents are out there, earning money with the excuse: for the children's sake. The kids are left with the grandparents, the nursery, the babysitter, even the maid. When the parents have retired, become old and have all the free time in the world to spend with their children, they are being left alone at home. In this modern world, if the retired people are lucky, the children live in the same state or city as them where they get to see their children once in a while. The luckier ones have grandchildren to look after.
Dont you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment