Thursday, February 2, 2012

Careful with words

Kids have a unique way of making the adults speechless. For example, I complimented Jerilyn today although she didn't exactly play very well with the piano piece. I said "That's very good. You have improved, Jerilyn." Jesslyn said immediately "How come Jie2 has improved already?" I replied "Because she can play better." Not satisfied, Jesslyn continued "But, I thought you said she she is not very good yesterday?"

My mood changes like the weather and so are my principles or instructions. I was busy when Jesslyn wanted to open a bottle of soft drink and I told her 'No'. After half an hour, I felt exhausted and needed a reward for myself. I opened the bottle and shared it with them. Jesslyn asked "Eh? I thought you said don't open, and now you said yes?" [Speechless]

When I bathed Jesslyn, I poured shampoo onto her palm. Jesslyn asked "Is this body shampoo or hair shampoo?" (her hands were about to touch her hair). Good question.

Sometimes, it is best not to know the source(the culprit), but find the solution or emphasize that the mistake should not recur. This is so because when the girls realise that I am not happy with their behaviour, they would start pointing fingers at one another. Jesslyn would say "It's not me. It's Jie2. Jie2 who's the one who did it" and vice versa. I would like to point out that I did not ask or even utter a word. The look on my face prompted them to blame each other. Therefore, now, I don't ask "Who did it?" that often.

* It's more difficult to teach Jesslyn about Sharing and Giving. She was watching youtube while Jerilyn was playing the piano. Naturally, Jerilyn wanted to watch too but Jesslyn pushed her away and commanded her to continue playing her piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment