Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Compare and Contrast

After studying at Montessori for two months, I notice that the lessons are done at a slower pace as compared to the previous kindergarten. Although I am more comfortable with fast pace (being a kiasu parent), I like the effort put in by the management for having their own printed exercises in addition to the books. Their lessons are more organised where they make sure each student has a strong foundation from tracing lines to colouring in 1 direction (4yo). Easy Mandarin words are taught instead of teaching by themes (old school). The disadvantage of teaching by themes is some words are just incomprehensible for young kids. Imagine, for someone who is new to Mandarin, learning Chinese characters of about 10 strokes is almost impossible.

Jerilyn's passion for Montessori has not subsided. Every once in a while, she would say that she loves school. I hope her passion continues til she joins other institutions. I chose Montessori because of their teaching method which is more learner-centred and focus on building character and confidence. If the child has passion to study and enjoys school, the school has succeeded. However, our system instills fear in them. So, I hope these 2 years in Montessori will do them good.

Not that I encourage her to say the below but here are some comments from her:
  • Mummy, the two Indian girls don't know how to read. They are so *silly.
  • Mummy, do you know why the teacher teaches the easy stuff again? Because some children do not know.
  • The lessons are boring. I have nothing to do in the school.
* I forbid them from calling anyone Stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment