Sunday, March 22, 2015

Mini Concert

After sending Jerilyn to a nearby music centre for more than a year, I decided to call it quits. Why? Let's just say that I was impatient.

I had been considering what kind of teachers to look for. In the end, I settled for Yamaha Music School. She was enrolled last August (which is about 8 months ago). With private teachers or music centres, they charge at an average RM80 for grade 1. However, YMS charges RM110. Despite the expensive fee, I gave it a try because of one reason. Friend told me that this centre organises concerts every year. Unlike big cities like KL and Penang, there are not many (maybe none) music centres in Ipoh that organises concerts for their students to demonstrate their talents. I think that it could be a fantastic platform for Jerilyn to expose herself to performances and boost her confidence.

Last March 2015, she performed for the first time in public at the centre itself. It was small scale with about 15 performers. She was the third performer and I couldn't deny how proud I was with her. She played two exam pieces very well with no mistakes and appropriate body language to enhance her performance. On the whole, I would give her an A+. You see, prior to the performance, many questions were running across my mind. I was worried about many things. What if she made mistakes she always do at home? What if her body was too stiff or her movement was too fake? What if she chickened out? There were many what ifs.... She herself was anxious about the whole idea since the day she knew about it. Thank God she managed to pull through. Again, I am very proud of her. In fact, another reason for being extra proud is the fact that she was one of the best performers that day. The other two who played very well were in their teens and the rest who were around Jerilyn's age were playing Yamaha 'Grade 1' pieces. If you know Yamaha's syllabus, you should know Yamaha's 'Grade 1' consists of nursery rhymes. There were also a few who hesitated while some made mistakes.



Next, I am waiting for the right time to stop Jesslyn from the current centre and move her to Yamaha. Recently, I found out that it took her 1 year to complete a Beginner's book 1 Theory. With this kind of speed, she will need another 3 years to start doing Grade 1. By then, she would be 9yo? On the other hand,  Jerilyn completed 2 books in half a year. The teacher is preparing to sit for Theory Grade 1 this August. Although you may argue that we learn for interest, not for exams but I believe that slow speed will kill student's interest. It is like learning A, B, C one at a time with a week break in between!

No comments:

Post a Comment