Monday, August 6, 2012

Piano Assessment

in June:
Since I started my Masters studies, I didn't have the time to teach Jerilyn piano. She was on her own. She hardly played her piano. Maybe once or twice a week. I realised that I could not let that habit continue so, I decided to enrol her into piano classes. At least, the classes will give her some sense of responsibility and she will practise at home.

I called the piano teacher and made an appointment for an assessment. The assessment was to determine which level should Jerilyn start her lessons. According to the teacher, children her age should start with sth called Mozart, which I wasn't very keen. I wanted her to play. So, there - the assessment. I was quite apprehensive about this assessment. What if she freaks out and doesn't play? What if she was so nervous that she makes mistake after mistake? What if the teacher isn't happy enough with her performance and insists that she starts with Mozart level? I was stress  and so was she.

When she first knew about the class, she cried. She didn't want to go. However, as the actual day drew nearer, she began to accept that she has to go. Still, she was restless the whole day. You see, the appointment was in the evening.

When it was time, we went and she played. She played very well. Better than her performances at home. So, the teacher said she can start with Pre-Grade 1 book 2, whatever that means. For half an hour lesson every week, the lessons cost RM60/month.

I went home feeling proud of my daughter. The teacher was impressed with her ability to read the notes without any theory lesson. Yah. I told her I haven't taught her any theory. There was another thing which I have forgotten. Let me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment