Friday, June 10, 2011

Little Mozart

Last week, I took Jerilyn for a haircut. While waiting for the busy hair-dresser, I went next door to check out the music academy. The first impression put me off. I rang the bell twice and an unwelcoming lady greeted me with "Mut Yea Xi". I felt like a salesgirl all of a sudden. Anyway, we went in, asked about piano lessons etc. She said as Jerilyn is only 4yo, she has to start with Little Mozart. The books looked easy yet complicated. I asked if she could start with classical music instead. 'No' was the answer. This made me even more uneasy with her. Most importantly, I just do not like her, thus I do not like whatever she said.

We left, determined not to take any music lessons from this academy. From then, I was also determined to teach Jerilyn to play a piece. :p Thanks to the teacher, my kid is playing her first song after 2 weeks of practice. I want to prove that she is wrong. Kids at 4 can play. Some argued that the basic knowledge of fingering and keys are important and one should start with that. They may be right but without the interest, it will take double the time to learn that. Therefore, I started my kid with a song she is familiar with.

Initially, I only gave her one of my old books and never bothered to really show her how to play - which key, which finger. Then, I realised without a purpose, she would not learn. Now, she has a purpose to play ie that is to play for her Ah Yee and grandma.

This will make fingering lessons easier. Gambateh!

No comments:

Post a Comment