Sunday, June 12, 2011

New Song

Jerilyn's first song.


After playing the same song for two weeks, I have tried to introduce a new song to Jerilyn - Rain, rain, Go Away.

After struggling for a few times, she went back to Happy Birthday because that's the song she can play. She boasted that she does not need the notes anymore. It's amazing how interest can motivate her so much to play it by heart. Yes, she can play the song by just looking at the keys with 1 or 2 wrong keys.

So, we turned back and forth between the two songs. I tried to teach her fingering and reading notes. When she could not use the right finger, I started to raise my voice and when I did, she began to shut off from me. Looking down, not listening, no response.... I knew that we(to be exact, I) had to stop. So, the 2 of us sat quietly for a moment. After 1 minute, I encouraged her to try again. She did.

I was wondering why she had to use finger 1 and 5 (she should use 5th and then 4th)to move from G to F notes. The most possible answer is that she could only coordinate her fingers this way. Thus, I told myself to let her use any fingers at the moment. I reminded myself that she is only 4. Therefore, I only taught her how to read notes. Not bad for the first day, she knows and remembers which are F and D notes. She is able to memorise 40% of the song too. i think she prefers to memorise playing than to learn reading the notes. Whichever way, I am happy she is playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment